?

No account? Create an account

Home - The Orientalist

About Home

Previous Entry Home Aug. 12th, 2004 @ 11:47 am Next Entry
Well i am back in Canada and it is a very bizarre
experience. What I remembered as home seems foreign to me. I spent the last three days with Annie from Concordia; on my last night we went upscale, spending the evening at the Cairo Opera House and a late dinner at a seafood restaurant. We stayed up all night walking along the Nile. Cairo is the real city that never sleeps, in the summer families picnic and walk around up till the 4:30 call to prayer because its too hot during the day.

As i walked off the airplane i saw rain for the first time in two months, in front of me was a women wearing a Concordia backpack. Everyone was like me and spoke English and I was not use to being one with crowed. Shopping was also bizarre; I had to remember what was expensive and what different
prices meant. I was amazed by the amount of producers you could find in stories. Whenever somebody spoke English I would turn around because i assumed they were talking to me. Overall I am glad to be back in Canada but i really miss Cairo, i miss seeing people, in Egypt there are so
many people you cannot fit on the street, here the streets look empty. Also knowing that i won't be hearing the call to prayer five times a day, from hundreds of mosques in Cairo saddens me because i know i will never hear something like that in Canada. I have a feeling however, that I will be back in Cairo sooner rather then later, just because I felt I had such a connection to the place. Anyways I am back in Canada, so feel free to drop me a line.
Craig
Leave a comment
From:(Anonymous)
Date:August 12th, 2004 04:43 pm (UTC)

So Now What????

(Link)
Are you going to keep this blog going if not where can we find you???
From:(Anonymous)
Date:September 2nd, 2004 11:50 am (UTC)

Welcome Back

(Link)
Welcome Back Craig,

It has read like an amazing experience, and it is only with my imagination that I can truly get a slight percentage of this amazing experience you have gone through. I'll be seeing you around town now. It is good to have you back kid.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:September 30th, 2004 03:43 pm (UTC)

article

(Link)
Hi,
I am writing an article for students about eating cheaply when traveling. I found your blog in a search and was hoping you'd be able to share some tips.
Please E-mail me at cfortune@ryerson.ca.
Carley
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 14th, 2005 02:21 pm (UTC)

i get it

(Link)
hey...i'm an egyptian who moves back and forth btw canada and egypt and i understand exactly how it feels to be back here. it's easier but i don't want easy. check out www.forsoothsayer.blogspot.com
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 19th, 2006 12:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
hi
i can understand u well.
i was living in cairo for 8 months, so the place became for me something special.
i miss it much

(Leave a comment)
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com